Saturday, November 23, 2013

New Zealand: To Do

We recently got back from 2 weeks on the south island of New Zealand, which was our big vacation for the year.  Did you know that New Zealand is made up of two halves, a north and a south?  I didn't, until I moved to this hemisphere and became their neighbors.

I think we struck a nice balance of activities, relaxing, sight seeing and stuffing our faces while we were there.  The activities were definitely the highlights of our trip, so I'll go through them in chronological order:

Queenstown: Skyline Gondola (+ buffet dinner with this view)


Queenstown: Shotover Jet


Fox Glacier: Hiking on a glacier


Franz Josef: West Cost Wildlife Centre



Marlborough region: Biking to wineries


Kaikoura: Swimming with dolphins


Kaikoura: Albatross feeding trip


Christchurch: Quake City Museum


Lake Tekapo: Hot Pools



Lake Tekapo: Stargazing tour


Doubtful Sound cruise


Milford Sound cruise


We also did a fair bit of hiking.  I would like a medal for this because some of those hikes were not easy!  Here's a picture of us after walking uphill for 2 straight hours:


New Zealand is, hands down, the most scenic place I've ever been.  It is so different from Australia, which I wasn't expecting at all.  The Lord of the Rings movies were filmed here, due to the scenery which I have deemed "totes beaut".

No comments:

Post a Comment